Don’t be scared by the name or the look for this unusual jello salad with a pretzel crust…it’s delicious!
This is a common staple that my mom has made for years…it always disappears at our family events.
Kari says, “This recipe came from my husband’s side of the family and we recently had it at a family reunion. It was a huge hit and we all kept going back for more servings. It’s a delicious mix of salty, a little buttery and sweet – perfect recipe for hot summer months!”
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 8 oz. package Kool Whip
- Two 3 oz. packages strawberry jello mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- Two 10 oz. packages frozen strawberries
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple
- Kool Whip or whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the crust: mix crushed pretzels, melted butter and three tablespoons of sugar. Press this mixture into a 9×13-inch pan and bake for 7 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the cream cheese and 3/4 cup of sugar. Fold in the Kool Whip and spread over the cooled pretzel crust.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the strawberries and pineapple, then pour over the cream cheese mixture.
- Refrigerate until time to serve (fruit mixture on top should be firm).
- Optional: garnish each serving with a dollop of Kool Whip or whipped cream.