DININGThere are countless great restaurants in St. Louis! This list contains recommendations for those of you traveling as a family with children in tow. Fitz's - located at 6605 Delmar Boulevard in "The Loop" (University City). Kids and parents alike can watch root beer being bottled while waiting for your food. Sorry, Pepsi or Coke fans, you won't find anything but Fitz's drinks here - but they have a nice variety, including root beer (diet too), cream soda, grape or orange soda. This restaurant features a great menu, and also serves children's meals in a '57 Chevy! www.fitzsrootbeer.com Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard - located at 4224 S. Grand Boulevard or 6726 Chippewa. Ted Drewe's is a St. Louis mainstay, and has been in business since 1929. Popular among the locals, this place is gaining much popularity among visitors and some Springfield-area grocery stores now carry their famous custard! www.teddrewes.com Crown Candy Kitchen - located at 1401 Saint Louis Avenue. Don't let the location fool you. This spot is in a neighborhood that is currently being revitalized and people come from all around the city to this little candy shop. In addition to homemade chocolates and candies, they also serve great food and their own ice cream treats. Be sure to get there early, as limited seating is available and they get busy quickly. This hot spot has been open since 1913 and has many of the original signs and furnishings. www.crowncandykitchen.net Boathouse Forest Park - located at 6101 Government Drive in Forest Park. The restaurant is situated right on a small lake in Forest Park, where you can dine and also ride the paddleboats! It features a reasonably priced menu with child options. www.boathouseforestpark.com Blueberry Hill - located at 6504 Delmar Boulevard in "The Loop" (University City). Just across the street from Fitz's, this restaurant has video games the kids can play. It's a noisy place, so if your clan is a little on the rowdy site, you won't be out of place here! Breakfast available anytime. Lots of memorabilia on display. www.blueberryhill.com Pi Pizzeria - Award-winning deep dish and thin pizza.
- St. Louis Galleria - www.saintlouisgalleria.com
- Chesterfield Mall - www.chesterfield-mall.com
- Plaza Frontenac - www.plazafrontenac.com
- St. Louis Union Station - www.stlouisunionstation.com
- South County Mall - www.shopsouthcountycenter.com
- St. Clair Square (Fairview Heights, IL) - www.stclairsquare.com
HOTELSJust a few suggestions:
- Drury Hotels - several locations throughout St. Louis. Drury Hotels have been rated number one in terms of customer satisfaction among mid-priced hotels for 2009. A big part of this is due to their family friendliness - lots of FREE amenities such as hot breakfast, evening receptions with drinks and snacks (and now featuring hot food items), in-room internet service, one hour of long distance per night, and more! Online codes are frequently available to receive highly discounted rates. www.druryhotels.com
- Cheshire Inn St. Louis - A St. Louis landmark. Family-friendly and luxurious.
- Hilton - www.hiltonstlouis.com
- Romantic Getaway? The Fleur-de-Lys Mansion in St. Louis, Missouri. This is an amazing get-away close to The Hill, St. Louis University, the Fox Theater, Powell Symphony Hall. You are an easy drive from the zoo, Busch Stadium and so many other fun activities. But you might not want to leave the Mansion because the rooms are so comfortable, the beautiful garden area beckons and the hot tub is always ready to go. Plus, there are homemade chocolate chip cookies always ready for munching in the kitchen. Owners and hosts Jan and Dave have thought of everything, and the made-from-scratch breakfast is a delight with generous portions and all the extras. TripAdvisor gave it a #1 ranking for bed and breakfasts in St. Louis, and you will agree. Phone: 314-773-3500.