The Illinois State Museum
502 S. Spring St. (corner of Spring and Edwards Streets), Springfield
Regular Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Saturday, noon to 5:00 p.m. Sunday. Admission is FREE. Visit website. Parking is available nearby, and the building is ADA accessible
Learn more about the benefits of becoming a Museum Society member. Just $50 for a family membership.
The Mary Ann Maclean Play Museum is open in the lower level and filled with activities for your younger explorer! Load a Jeep for an expedition, crawl through a cave, excavate a Mastodont skeleton, frame works of art, and much more! You won't want to miss this and the new Research Library with cozy cubbies for your kids and you to relax and read.
Play Museum Hours: Monday – Saturday 9:30 AM to 4:00 PM, Sunday 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
The Illinois State Museum inspires discovery and caring about Illinois' cultural and natural resources and heritage. The Museum’s extensive collections and research activities provide the foundation for exhibitions and public programs that tell the story of the land, life, people and art of Illinois.
Don't miss our 2014 "Super Saturdays" held monthly with a variety of FREE and FUN activities for the whole family. Schedule here.
You are invited to “Story Time,” a program designed for 3-5 year olds and their caregivers. Every second Monday of every month we feature engaging stories read by special guests. Children will also have the opportunity to see and learn about items from the Museum’s collections. 2014’s Story Time will be set to music!
- Amy Benton, a Nashville songwriter working from Springfield, has composed a series of interactive children’s songs to accompany the stories. She has opened for Florida Georgia Line, The LACS, Casey Donahew Band, Aaron Tippin, and David Lee Murphy. Sponsored by Bank of Springfield.
- February 10 – Celebrating Black History Month Enjoy picture books written by African American authors.
- March 10 – Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss Hear your favorite Dr. Seuss books in honor of his birthday.
- April 14 – Our Earth Listen to stories about our special planet in honor of Earth Day.
- May 12 – Visiting the Museum