Serves 10; scant 1 cup per serving.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups cubed angel food cake (about 1/2 cake)
- 1/2 cup strawberry all-fruit spread
- warmed 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 cups (about 1 pound 4 ounces) strawberries
- halved 2 cups (about 11 ounces) blueberries
- 1 8-ounce container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed in refrigerator
- 10 whole strawberries (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar and flour. Stir in the milk, egg, and lemon zest. Cook over medium heat for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and coats a metal spoon, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool to room temperature. To assemble, arrange half the cake cubes in a 1 1/2- or 2-quart trifle dish or clear glass bowl. Drizzle with half the fruit spread and half the orange juice. Around the side of the dish, arrange about half the halved strawberries with the cut side facing out and the tips pointing up. Sprinkle half the blueberries over the cake. Spoon half the pudding over the blueberries. Repeat. Spread the whipped topping over the top. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 4 hours. (Can be made up to one day ahead.) To serve, be sure to reach the spoon into the layers to get all the different flavors and textures. Place each serving in a bowl or on a dessert plate and garnish with a whole strawberry and fresh mint.
Nutrients Per Serving Calories 207 Total Fat 1.0 g Saturated Fat 0.0 g Trans Fat 0.0 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g Cholesterol 22 mg Sodium 172 mg Carbohydrates 45 g Fiber 2 g Sugars 32 g Protein 4 g Dietary Exchanges 3 carbohydrate.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Go Red For Women Recipe Collection, Copyright © 2009 by the American Heart Association. Published by Publications International, Ltd.