Are you, have you been, or do you know someone who adores being pregnant and dressing for two? While I have a handful of friends who actually love clothes shopping throughout their pregnancy, I admit I am on the opposite end of the continuum. I fear clothes while pregnant (when really, isn't this an opportune time to cover every ounce of my flesh?) and am hesitant to spend money on a temporary wardrobe when I'm unsure as to when and where my body will gain weight. Once I became pregnant with my second baby, I learned to embrace my bump and realized that when I wear well-fitting, cute clothes, I actually don't mind being pregnant … I adore it!
LOCAL Consignment Stores
- All About Kids, 939 Clock Tower Drive, Suite C (Across from Bike Tek) Springfield 217-787-8616.
- Kids Closet, 130 John St, Rochester; 217-498-9434.
- Kids Treasures in Springfield.
- Just Kids in Sherman.
Specialty Retail Stores
- Eye Candy by Brandy, 3307 Robbins Road, 217-787-9677; custom designs available upon request. More about Eye Candy and a 15% off coupon, click here.
- Motherhood Maternity, White Oaks Mall, 217-726-7368.
- Wal-Mart Supercenter, 2760 N Dirksen Pkwy, 217-523-2847
- Target, 3445 Freedom Dr, 217-698-3182
- Kohl's, 2901 S Veterans Pkwy, 217-698-0540
- Gordman's, 3231 S Veterans Pkwy, 217-793-2676
- Meijer, 4200 Conestoga Dr, 217-547-2400
- K-Mart, 3250 E Clear Lake Ave, 217-544-3735 and 2500 Wabash Ave, 217-787-0434
- JC Penney, 1201 S Dirksen Pkwy, 217-789-0848
- Sears, White Oaks Mall, 217-698-7774
- Bergners, White Oaks Mall, 217-793-2010
- Old Navy / Bloomington, 1615 E Empire St, 309-661-1821
- Gap / St. Louis, Galleria, 314-863-8526.
- H&M / Schaumburg, Woodfield Mall, 847-995-8030
www.babystyle.com. A one-stop ‘shop' for all things mom and baby. Great pieces for post-delivery, too.
- www.bellydancematernity.com. An extension of a wonderful store in Chicago and a plethora of brands!
- www.anntaylorloft.com. Who knew? One of Ann Taylor's best secrets … maternity wear for the office!
- www.oldnavy.com. Great selection of affordable, stylish clothing.
- www.gap.com. Larger selection of maternity wear than you'll find in any store, with the exception of the Michigan Avenue location in downtown Chicago.
- www.2chix.com. Sassy shirts for moms and dads-to-be.
- www.lucy.com. Retailer with a slew of Chicago-land area stores and a variety of active wear basics.
- www.nordstrom.com. Higher end maternity apparel consistent with what you'd find in stores.
- www.kristak.com. Chicago boutique with prices to match…tres chic!
- www.duematernity.com. Wide variety of styles and prices – there's something for everyone here!
- www.apeainthepod.com. The "Banana Republic" of the Motherhood Maternity brand…now combined with Mimi Maternity and the perfect stop for a special occasion purchase.
- www.shopmama.com. Online outpost of the growing, upscale maternity chain, "Hot Mama."
- Embrace hand-me-downs! Everyone has fashionable friends who have several items they're likely to loan you. At least half of my maternity clothes were on loan to me, and borrowing from friends – or even just trying before you buy – can save you time and money.
- Size up! While some consider it truly fun to buy maternity clothes, consider shopping at your favorite regular stores but buying clothes a size or two larger than normal. This may require some serious dressing-room time, but you also will be able to wear these ‘normal people clothes' as your body transitions post-delivery … and maybe avoid that feeling of "ugh, I have a two-month-old, but I'm STILL wearing maternity clothes!"
- Never underdeliver! Find comfy bras, underwear and support that maximizes what you're wearing on the outside. Do get measured for bras from time to time throughout your pregnancy, and remember that even celebs have secret help like Spanx, Bella Bands, and post-pregnancy, Tauts.
Happy shopping … and here's to many months of dressing your beautiful bump!
Submitted by Jennifer Madiar, Springfield Moms Advisory Board.Pin It