Thank you to Lisa Whelpley for submitting this recipe from www.marthastewart.com. This is a family favorite of the Whelpley family, and they enjoy this recipe far more than other stuffing recipes they have tried.
- 12 tbsp. salted butter
- 4 onions (2 lbs.), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 16 celery stalks, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 10 large fresh sage leaves, chopped, OR 2 tsp. crushed dried sage
- 6 cups chicken stock, or low sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 stale loaves of white bread (about 36 slices), crust on, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups (about 2 bunches) fresh, coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
- 2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 2 cups dried cherries (optional)
Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onions and celery, and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add sage, stir to combine, and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup stock, and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes, until liquid has reduced by half.
Transfer onion mixture to a large mixing bowl. Add all remaining ingredients, including the remaining stock; mix to combine.